The original part, a 1909 Colonial Revival, was built for Arthur C.
Wise, a stockbroker, and has rooms on both sides of a central foyer
that runs the width of the house from its west-facing front to the
back. Ten years later, Wise hired the prominent architect Charles
Everett to design a two-story addition on the north side to connect it to a late-19th-century barn he had just purchased and had
trucked in from another part of town.
The history — and that the house was in walking distance to
Hingham center — won the hearts of Caroline and Lee Counselman, and though it technically wasn’t on the market (they knew
the owners were considering downsizing since their children were
grown), they made a pact. If they could persuade the owners to
sell it to them, they would not only raise their three young sons to
have the same appreciation for the house and its history as they
do, but they would also be more respectful of time itself — they’d
view those 5,600 square feet in terms of the past, the present, and
the future as long as they called it their home. And they’d hope the
next inhabitants would do the same.
But first they needed to buy it.
In the coastal town of Hingham, Massachusetts, known for
its historic 18th- and 19th-century sea captain houses, this
house is different.