WILLIAM LEE ARCHITECT AND ASSOCIATES
Photo : Eric Scott
T. S. MANN LUMBER CO. ATHOL, MASSACHUSETTS 978-249-2206
Fir & Cedar Timbers
Cedar Shakes & Shingles
Boards & Beams
Millstones & Granite
past members painted on the paneled walls,
the cozy dining areas look essentially the
same, but circulation and support were considerably improved.
A sunny dining hall was created in the
house next door. The walls are lined with
paintings stacked salon fashion, and one club
member adorned the ceiling with a trompe
l’oeil Baroque-style painting of blue sky and
puffy white clouds.
To service the expanding dining spaces,
Bay + Bay created a new kitchen three times
larger than the one it replaced that is filled
with natural light from clerestory windows.
The expanded kitchen forms an attractive
courtyard that brings light into the new dining room, provides a pleasant outdoor eating
space, and gives the rear of the club a new
identity. A skylight bridges the gap between
the 1785 wooden house and the kitchen
and transforms a former service alley into a
dramatic light well where part of the club’s
collection is displayed.
Gallery space throughout the club
was doubled, thanks in part to new connecting hallways. While 3,000 square feet
were added, clever utilization makes it seem
more like twice that. Much of that space
includes Bay + Bay’s addition — made possible by the purchase of a small piece of
abandoned land — which contains the
kitchen, print and painting studios, and
The new wing redefines the now
accessible and usable back of the complex,
yet can stand alone as a notable work of
the restored dining hall retained the
romance provided by dark woods, tile floor,
and early members’ silhouettes.