FEDERAL RESERVE • The new wing of Andover’s Addison Gallery adds much-needed
space and amenities while respecting its traditional lines and intimate size
The addison gallery of american art at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts, has quietly, yet brilliantly, added a lot of much-need space. Bucking the trend of manic expansion, the Addison did not enlarge the original museum, thus preserving its delightful scale and sense of intimacy, but rather
focused on “back of the house” needs. The result is a triumph of elegance and restraint.
When establishing the gallery in 1931, the founders
chose to limit the collection to the art of our own country at a
time when it was undervalued and under-appreciated. Today,
the Addison collection comprises a Who’s Who of the giants
of American art: Winslow Homer, Edward Hopper, John
Singer Sargent, Thomas Eakins, John Singleton Copley, and
architecture: centerbrook architects
Jackson Pollock are joined by a significant collection of that
particularly American medium, photography.
Selecting architect Charles Adams Platt, a painter and
artist (the Addison owns 200 of his etchings and three of his
paintings), campus planner (including Andover), and an
accomplished country-house designer, turned out to be an
equally wise decision.
While best known for the grandly neoclassical Freer
Gallery of Art on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.,
Platt continued the local tradition of parsimonious red brick
in the Georgian and Federal styles for the gallery at Andover.
OF AMERICAN ART
180 Main St.
the addison gallery light-handedly updated its original
building, adding climate control and other modern amenities.
The new 14,000-square-foot glass addition features a learning
center, handling spaces, and storage to house the gallery’s
entire 17,000-piece collection.